If you are new to Turnitin and have not been added to an account by your instructor, you must create a student profile. To create your own student account, your class ID and class enrollment key are required.
The class ID and class enrollment key is needed to ensure you have authorization to join a class, and can only be obtained from your instructor. Students wishing to access Turnitin must contact the appropriate personnel at the institution to receive the class ID and class enrollment key. Turnitin staff cannot distribute this information to any user.
Instructors may distribute this data or may add students to a Turnitin class themselves, which will send an automatic welcome email, allowing access to the account.
Each Turnitin account must be assigned a unique email address in the Turnitin system. Users who have previously created a Turnitin account must log in with the email address and password originally provided.
- Click on the New User – and Select the student link.
- The Create a New Turnitin Student Profile form must be completed to create a new student user account.
- Enter the class ID number and the case sensitive Turnitin class enrollment key.
- Enter the user first name, last name, and a valid e-mail address to use as the login for Turnitin.
- Create a user password. The user password must be between six and twelve characters long and contain at least one letter and one number. Re-enter the password to confirm it.
- Select a secret question from the drop-down menu. Enter the answer for the question. Remember and keep this information. The answer is case and space sensitive.
- Review the user agreement. To continue using Turnitin, click on I agree — create profile.
From the completed user profile creation page, click on Log in to Turnitin.
If step 6 indicates that the e-mail provided is already in Turnitin, there is an existing profile under the e-mail you entered. Please use the Resetting Your Password instructions, if the password has been forgotten, to gain access to the user profile if you had a previously existing Turnitin user profile, or use an alternate e-mail address for your Turnitin access.
To begin using Turnitin, you must first log in. During login, a cookie will be set on your web browser to allow Turnitin to authorize your access during use of the site. Please ensure that the web browser you are using will allow the cookie to be set by our site, http://turnitin.com. If you have just created an account with Turnitin, you’ll have set your password during the account creation process.
Go to http://turnitin.com
- At the top right click on the Log In button.
- Enter your school email address (or the email you used to create your account) and your password.
- Click on the Login button.
- That’s it! You should now see your Turnitin homepage with the classes you’re enrolled in.
Enrolling in a class from inside your account
- Enter the class ID and enrollment key for the new class. Your instructor, TA, or another member from your learning institution must provide this information for you to access the class.
You should not share your enrollment key publicly outside of MUBS.
- Select Submit to enroll in the class and add it to the student’s homepage.
Accessing your class list
A single user profile can be used to enroll in multiple classes. Enrollment into additional classes can be completed once the user signs on as the student profile and is viewing the student user homepage. Enrollment in additional classes on Turnitin will always require a valid class ID number and the case sensitive enrollment key for the class. This information can only be distributed by the instructors.
Students may also receive a notification email from Turnitin indicating that they have been added to a new course by the instructor directly. This new class will appear automatically on the student user homepage.